Sunday, March 6, 2011

On the Road to Morocco March 4th-6th


Greetings from Beni Mellal, Morocco!
I hope that everyone is doing well, and that you are doing a good job while I'm gone. My plane left Friday morning at 6:30 am, landed in New York City where I met my partner, Debbie Skarsten, a math teacher from Ohio, and we left for Morocco about 3 hours later. We arrived in Casablanca, the biggest city in Morocco, the next morning at 6:45 am, and met Ms. Fatimezzahara Massaq, who teaches high school here in Beni Mellal. Saturday, we toured Casablanca, and visited the King Hassan II mosque in Casablanca. It is one of the largest mosques in the world, and it is one of the few that allow non-Muslims to visit in the sanctuary.
Today, Sunday, we took the 3 hour drive to Beni Mellal, and toured the city here. We visited parks and the soule, which is a tradional market. We also met Ms. Massaq's family, which is her husband, who is a local political leader, her 17 year old daughter, who is preparing to take her exams to enter college here, and her 10 year old son, who loves soccer and is taking tennis lessons.


On Monday, Ms. Skarsten and I will meet Ms. Massaq's class for the first time. They are high school students who are learning English as their foreign language. What questions do you have for them? What would you like to learn about growing up in Morocco? Please post with your first name, last initial, and class period, and I will ask your questions to the students here -- then I will post the responses in the blog.

See you soon on my next blog post from Morocco

Tomorrow, Ms. Skarsten and I will be meeting with the

3 comments:

John holstein said...

Hey mrs skarsten :)

Anonymous said...

hi mrs skarsten. cally j from 7th period.

Anonymous said...

hi ms. Skarsten Joshua Z. from 7th period