Friday, March 25, 2011

Back from Morocco


So now that I'm back from Morocco, and settled once again in my daily routine, what do I take away from the trip? As a historian, I know that over time, the lessons from Morocco will become clearer as time passes. But I also know that it's important to record my impressions as they occur, so here are a few, in no particular order:

-- The hospitality that we were shown throughout the country, in schools, and in homes throughout Morocco was amazing. One of the joys of our trip was being able to spend so much time in private homes, and away from the hotels and tourist spots (although being a tourist was fun, too). However, the food was amazing, and trying to find mint tea that tastes like what we had in Morocco is proving to be a challenge. I also loved the fact that people wanted to discuss politics with us. We had gotten the advice to avoid politics and religion, and it was a delight that the second question we were asked (after, "How do you like Morocco?") was, "Will President Obama be re-elected?" It allowed us to share our ideas openly, and to ask questions that helped us understand their view of the US and its policies. While I didn't agree with everything I heard, I understand their perspective in a way atha I hadn't before. Hospitality is an ancient custom, but what can we all learn to be more hospitable?

-- Tolerance is something that we often talk about in our class, but I don't think that I realized the impact that some of the dialogue in the US had on the students in Morocco. The Moroccan students knew about the Qur'an burning in Florida, the Islamic center in Manhattan, and the Congressional hearings on Islamic radicalization, and they were hurt and even offended by many of those comments. I think that the one lesson that I would like to bring back to my US students is that scapegoating people is never justified. The one lesson that I hope that the students in Morocco understand is that the vast majority of Americans do not share those prejudices. It makes me think of my own prejudices and biases, and what can I do to change them?

-- The visit to Bayt Bahia, the orphanage for abandoned special needs children, was also a difficult experience that I will never forget. I'm not really a "baby person," but when I held and rocked those children and played with them, I realized that all of us need to do more to prevent children from being neglected, and need to do more to help those that are neglected. If you and I don't help, who will? My goal is to have our church make Bayt Bahia a mission project, and take up a collection at least once per year to help benefit the children. It's hard enough for special needs children under the best circumstances, but these little ones have been dealt a difficult hand. Bayt Bahia reminds me of the power of service -- I hope that many of the students in Beni Mellal take up Madame Massaq's challenge, and volunateer there.

-- Most of the time, it is difficult to know what events will be historically significant until they are over, and we have the chance to see that event with the benefit of hindsight. I believe that the revolutions that occured in the Arab world in the spring of 2011 will be seen as historical. What started in Tunisia and Egypt, and expanded to Libya, Syria, and other places has the potential to bring changes to people on the same scale as the fall of communism did in the 1990s. It was exciting to speak to students who are in the midst of history, and to see their reactions. I was also thrilled that King Mohammed VI addressed the Moroccan people during our stay, and promised to set up a commission with the charge to limit the constitution power of the monarchy in Morocco. As a historian, I am naturally reluctant to make predictions, since it is hard to understand what has already happened, but even harder to understand things that are happening now. However, I believe that the events across the "Middle East" and in Morocco in particular are historic. I think that Thomas Jefferson, wherever he is, is happy to see that more people are choosing independence, and self-government, as he knew that they would.

-- Overall, going to Morocco reminded me that of the value of travel and dialogue. I've been fortunate to travel to many places in the US, Canada and Mexico, but this was my first experience traveling beyond North America. Just being in Morocco and being able to talk to people, visit places like Chellah in Rabat (the Roman ruins) that pre-date anything in the US, and understand a society that functions much like our own, but with unique differences, was something that helped me grow and learn, and that was a good feeling.

So, that is all for now. Please check the blog archives for March 2011 for my entries while I was traveling in Morocco, and on Flickr, look for "Morocco 2011" to see the pictures I took during my trip. This is a good time to mention that the opinions that I expressed in these blog posts are my own, and do not represent the opinions of the US Department of State, IREX, Teaching Excellence Awards, International Leaders in Education Program, or the Global Classrooms program. I am also grateful to those entities for their support in my travels and experiences. Au revoir!

6 comments:

john holstein said...

hey mrs skarsten!

Abbi Ebbrecht said...

Hi my name is Abbi Ebbrecht. I am in Mrs. Skarstens 7th period clas. Some places in the U.S. are California, Yellowstone national park and Walt Disney World.

leah hohnberger said...

hi. i am leah hohnberger. am from mrs. skarstens 7th period class. i would really like to visit morocco sometimes. my guess is that it is really amazing(:

skylan gaston said...

looks fun!
hey mrs.skarsten

Morgan Douglas said...

hi. my name is Morgan Douglas from Mrs. Skarstens class period 3. some fun places to visit is Disney World in Florida.

Anonymous said...

hi my name is dayana period 2. ms.arce , i think its really cool to keep in touch with kids in morocco :) thankk u